Feb 23, 2015

Dress Form Pincushion and Pins



For Christmas, my friend, Judy gave me a wonderful gift. It's both very cute and very practical. She said she wanted to make me pins to use for marking my quilt blocks and rows and then decided to find a cute pincushion to put them in. She found this one at JoAnn's and knew that I would love it! And I do!!


What a thoughtful gift! The pins are all color coded and stuck into the pin cushion in numerical or alphabetical order. 


So, now when I have my blocks on my design wall and I need to take them down to stitch them, I can put pins in them before I move them and nothing is ever out of order. I can also mark my rows so that later when I am sewing them together I am able to keep them in the same position. 


To make the pins, Judy started with pearl head straight pins, alphabet and number beads, small crystal beads and crimp beads. For each set she added an alphabet bead, a crystal bead and then a crimp bead (you find crimp beads in the jewelry making section of your local craft store. The purpose of the crimp bead is to squeeze it closed around the pin, so that the other beads do not fall off.) You can add your beads in any order you prefer. 


I have a quilt on my design wall that is set on point and I have already put my number beads to good use keeping my rows straight. 


This pincushion and these pins are going to get a LOT of use. And I'm going to think of Judy every time I do. 



Happy quilting.....and pinnning,

Grammy



1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I'm glad the photo was a feast for your eyes. I bought the quilt at an antique mall, my husband bought the treadle machine for my birthday several years ago (he got it for a steal!) and the jar of buttons is one of my favorites! I thought it was the perfect vignette to show off my pincushion.

    ReplyDelete