Jul 31, 2013

Tumbler Blocks

The last two weeks have flown by in a blur! But I have managed to get a little bit of sewing in, in between two trips and some overnight company. 

I drove to Florida and spent three days with my mom. We had a great time and the weather was just perfect. I returned home in time for my husband's birthday (don't tell anyone, but he just turned the big 6-0). We celebrated three July family birthdays (my husband and both of our sons-in-law) with a family get together.

Then I drove to Greenville, South Carolina and visited with my BFFs-Anne and Pam. I'm a very fortunate girl, because I have not one, but two BFFs! The three of us met 14 years ago and have moved about 13 times between us since (one of us moves A LOT). Through it all, we have managed to get together multiple times a year all over the country. We have attended each other's children's weddings, traveled to quilt shows together, and been to each other's homes to visit. Sometimes only two of us are able to get together-but the third is always there in spirit. It is a blessing to have not one, but two, special friends!

Our time in Greenville was wonderful.  We spent most of one day in downtown Greenville.


Here are Anne and Pam at the falls. The weather was sunny and perfect as we strolled downtown.

This is Falls Park on the Reedy in downtown Greenville's historic West End. It was so beautiful there. We shopped in some great stores, ate some wonderful Sea Salt Caramel Gelato (anything sea salt caramel is my new guilty pleasure!) and enjoyed each other's company.

We had decided ahead of time to exchange tumbler blocks cut from Civil War reproduction fabrics when we got together. So, when we got back to Pam's house late in the afternoon, we poured the wine, got out the Go! Baby and started cutting. A few quick turns of the handle and you have three blocks of each fabric run through-perfect for the three of us to each have one.

Pam and I were cutting 4 1/2 X 11" rectangles and Anne was rolling them through the cutter as fast as we got them ready for her. It was fun to see our stacks grow. Lots of hands make for light work.

Pam's dog, Leo, was totally bored with the whole situation and decided to indulge in a nap. All that fabric was keeping him nice and toasty warm.


After shirtings and Civil War fabrics were all cut the stack was really tall. I couldn't resist counting~


There are 525 tumblers in that stack! We figured out that if you use 25 in a row, you can make 21 rows-and that makes a quilt top about 55 X 63". Borders would make it even bigger.


Pam couldn't resist! She got out her featherweight sewing machine and started sewing them up. When I left she already had two rows sewn and the last time I talked to her she told me that she has six rows done now! They go together so easily that they are a quick sew. I'm excited to start on mine-but I have a few projects to finish first. 

During the last two weeks I also sewed the blocks together from a very old (ten years OLD to be exact!) UFO. I am going to try to get it quilted this week. I am excited about getting it finished. It's a small wallhanging, but it's oh, so cute! I'll share pics and the story about it when I am finished.

I have also been ordering Snoopy fabric on the Internet this week. My #3 granddaughter, Madison, has requested a Snoopy quilt for her bed. And of course, I just couldn't say no. I haven't decided on a pattern yet, but Madison will have to give it her nod of approval too. And since she is a huge fan of all things Snoopy, she will have an opinion, I'm sure. :)

Happy quilting to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment