Jul 1, 2013

Ollie's Quilt-finished!

On May 1st I blogged about making Ollie a quilt. Ollie is my 7th grandchild-but my first grandson. My daughter, Melissa, (Ollie's mom) picked out the fabric and I picked the pattern and sashing/border fabric. This was a fun quilt to make and I am pleased with how it turned out.

This was the layout that I decided on. It was quick and easy to stitch and I thought that the fabric would be the focus and not the quilt pattern-which was my goal.

I even fussy cut some of the cute robots to showcase them in the blocks. They were so adorable that I had to feature them!


This is the top before I added the border. I was really on the fence about the border width. So, of course, I had to send pictures and ask my quilting posse. They said three inches-so, three inches it was. 

Here is the top, layered on the floor all ready for me to crawl around and pin together. This is my least favorite part of making a quilt. But, it is such an essential part of the process. 


Melissa was adamant that the quilting not look "girly". I can understand that-after so many girls, this has to be a BOY QUILT-nothing girly about it at all. I copped out and decided that an all-over meander would be quickest and easiest.

I loved the striped fabric and thought it was the perfect frame for the quilt, so I used it as the binding. All done! I took it to my daughter's house yesterday-it was a birthday party celebration for her oldest, who just turned 5. We didn't have a chance to take pictures of Ollie with his quilt yesterday, but Melissa is going to take a few and send them to me. I will post them at a later date. He is so cute and I know they will be adorable pictures. 

This is going to be a really cute nursery for Ollie. Melissa is making a crib sheet and curtains out of the same fabric line for his room. Ollie's aunt (my other daughter, Meredith) is painting some of the robots on a floor cloth for him. It's fun to take a fabric line and do a whole themed room with it! 

Happy Quilting.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic job on the quilt. Your grandson will love it. Such a talented family.

    ReplyDelete