Feb 6, 2013

Cigar Boxes

I just love Temecula Quilt Company. I am a huge fan of her store (though I have never been there because I live in Georgia and the shop is located in California, it is on my quilt shop bucket list). I also love her blog. My quilting friend, Tisha, has sent me gifts from Temecula Quilt Co. on numerous occasions. Their ruler boxes are adorable!! I have two of them.  :)

When Tisha sent me the link to this adorable picture from the Temecula Quilt Co. blog (November 11, 2012) I was totally enchanted. Tisha was in love with the box and had even called the quilt shop to see if she could order one for herself. 


Sheryl said that her husband made this for her from an old cigar box that her daughter found at a garage sale. She said it is a one of a kind and that if any of us are lucky enough to have handy husbands then maybe they could make them for us too.

That was all the permission I needed! I showed my husband the picture and asked him if he would make a few for myself and my friends. And of course, he said "yes"! My husband is an occasional cigar smoker and he had several boxes to donate to the cause. I also picked several up at the local cigar store and my friend Pam gave me several. I was ready for business. 

Since each box was a different size I divided them up a little differently. I looked for old yard sticks at several antique malls, but when that didn't yield what I wanted my husband just used strips of wood. It took about an hour per box to glue them up, and I am so happy with the results. 

Since I am doing a lot of hand applique these days I have been using this little box a lot! And I love it more than I ever thought I would. Thank you, Sheryl, and thank your husband too!! 


This one is mine.

This one is Pam's.


This one is Anne's. She hasn't decided 
how she wants to use it yet.


This one is Judy's-she sent me a blurry picture, but you can still get the idea. For this box my husband bought a new yard stick and put a light stain on it-he loved the look and wants to redo mine this way now! 


This box is Tisha's-this whole thing is because she saw the picture on Temecula Quilt Co. blog!

I hope you are inspired too-and if you have a handy husband, you can have a neat sewing box for your hand sewing supplies too.

Happy stitching.


2 comments:

  1. These re-purposed cigar boxes are soooo charming!! Leave it to Pete to create something so clever in wood. I swear, you have the most talented family on planet earth : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! Even though this was not an original idea at all, I love that he was able to copy it from Temecula Quilt Co. and make something so fun :) Sheryl is a treasure for sharing it with everyone in the quilting world.

      Delete