Jun 12, 2015

Pincushions

I've made several pincushions for friends lately and I thought I would share some pictures with you. They are all very basic, simple pincushions, but I have had a great time making them.


In March, I made this one for Karen from some of my 1930s scraps. Since her birthday is near Easter I thought the little bunny in the center was fun. 


I have a charm pack of these cute fabrics and for the life of me I can't remember what line they are from (naturally, I have lost the band around it with the name!) One of the fabrics has definitions of sewing terms printed on it, another has pinwheels, a third has the names of quilt blocks printed on it. You get the idea. I thought the sewing theme made the fabrics cute to use for pincushions.


I made my BFF's each one and tucked them into little packages for them. They have arrived, so I can blog about them now. :)


The centers of these log cabins are 1" squares and the strips around them are 1/2" strips. They finished as 3" squares. I stuffed them with polyfil and crushed walnut shells. The log cabins were fun to make, so I decided to "branch out" to nine patches. 


The log cabin pincushions were so much fun to make that I decided to do a couple nine-patch ones out of the same fabrics. I can see now that I am finished and taking the pictures, that the middle block is off center. If I am going to feature a fabric-I need to get it right. These are my first pincushions and I am learning as I go. 


These are made with 1" squares, so these pincushions also finish up 3". I made these to send to two people as small thank you's for their parts in the doll quilt swap I participated in. 


I hope they can appreciate the thought, since the end result isn't perfect!

Happy pinning.

1 comment:

  1. They are adorable. Simple pin cushions are just as lovely as complex patterns. The 1930's one is my favourite, so cute.

    ReplyDelete