May 31, 2015

Another Busy May

I don't know why I ever think I can get any quilting done in May. It's seems to be just as busy as December always is. All of the end of the year school activities, dance recitals, sports, Mother's Day and birthday celebrations fill the days quickly. With eight grandchildren involved in so many events, I spread myself thin trying to  attend as much as possible. I'm proud of all of their accomplishments and like all grandmothers everywhere, I could brag all day about them! 

I still have not finished Gabby's baby quilt. Some days I feel like this is the quilt that will never get done! I haven't been able to get down on the floor to pin the layers together. But I have a good excuse~I have a compression fracture in one of the vertebrae in my back. I did it about three weeks ago and I have to admit that it has slowed me down quite a bit. Bending or lifting anything over 5 pounds are big no-no's according to the doctor.  I now have a back brace to wear and it is helping immensely with the pain. I think that's because it "reminds" me to keep my back straight, which is aiding in the healing. The orthopedist said that I should be all better in just 3 months! WHAT?! THREE MONTHS?! That's all summer! I don't have time for this-I have quilts to finish and new quilts to start. I have places to go, people to see and things to do. 

I have been doing a little bit of sewing. I can sit for about 30 minutes to stitch and then I need to take a break. I walk around or lay down for a bit and then I'm good to go for a while longer. 

I must confess that I have spent a lot of my time lately on the internet-reading lots of blogs. I have found several new ones that I like that have really inspired me. And my next few quilts are going to be "outside the box" for me. I've decided it's time to do something new and different. These pictures have all gotten me to add new fabrics to my stash and/or new quilts to my bucket list.


My next quilt is going to be a low volume scrap quilt inspired by this one from Crazy Mom Quilts. I love how fresh and cool it looks. I keep a quilt on the back of the loveseat year round and this would be perfect for summer, because some times the AC gets a little chilly. Since most of my fabrics are Civil War reproduction or Kansas Troubles or others with similar color and intensity, making a quilt like this requires lots of new fabrics for my stash. Sweet :)  I love a good reason to shop!


The next quilt I want to make is this Nested Churn Dash from Quilt Jane's quilt along last summer. (You can find the directions here.) Churn Dash is one of my favorite quilt blocks and this one with 4 churn dashes nested inside of each other really caught my eye. Each block finishes at 24", so it only takes a few to make a pretty big quilt. I'm going to make mine with just 9 blocks and the finished size will be 80X80". This is going to be my first ever square quilt. I haven't decided yet what fabrics I will use. I still have a lot of 1930s reproduction fabrics. Or I might make it red, white and blue. Or I just might buy new fabric for it :)



I also fell in love with this Scrap Vortex quilt on Crazy Mom Quilts. You can see it here. She's going to have a quilt along for it on her blog this summer and I'm going to raid my scraps and hope I can find enough fun and bright fabrics to sew right along with her. 


My friend Karla has made several quilts like this and I love each and every one of them! I decided I'm going to make one too. I have some black and white fabrics left from two other quilts I made that will work well. I may need to buy a few new ones just to freshen up the stash a bit. My biggest decision is going to be what color(s) I am going to put with my black and whites. I haven't decided if I am going with one color or many. Brights or pastels? Solids or prints? So many choices...

For the last two years I have been collecting red and cream French General fabrics that I want to use to make a king sized quilt for my guest room. My only problem is that I keep changing my mind what pattern I want to use! I have it narrowed down to just four different ones. Decisions, decisions.....

So (Sew?) I'm going to be a busy girl in the next few months. I'm excited about working on all of these quilts. I know the low volume will be my next quilt, but I haven't decided what to work on after that. In the meantime, I'll be collecting fabric! 

Happy Quilting!


No comments:

Post a Comment